Thursday, August 17, 2006

In which our heroine cuts herself with a plastic spoon

Yes, my friends, I cut myself with a plastic spoon yesterday. Not a spork, which one could possibly imagine one of the tines possibly being slightly sharper (possibly) than a pair of safety scissors, but a spoon.

We begin our tale after dinner. I had a pint of Ben and Jerry's Carmel
Sutra ice cream waiting for me in the freezer. Asimovian was up and about, so I asked him to bring it when he came back to the couch. Little did I know that my laziness would be my undoing. He kindly brought me the ice cream and a plastic spoon.

Now, let me stop here to defend myself for a moment. Yes, I eat Ben and Jerry's straight from the canister. Yes, I like to use a spoon. Yes, I like using a plastic spoon from time to time because I hate doing dishes. My only defense is that
Asi hates chocolate, and I never have to share, so I don't see the use in dirtying up a dish just to be civil. See... I'm saving the environment. Yeah, that's it.

Anyhow, the ice cream had been stashed in the freezer since the day before when the 12-year-old kid at the dairy had flirted with me shamelessly while bringing it to my car. The ice cream was hard as a rock. I set it aside so it would soften up a little bit.

But this is Caramel
Sutra ice cream. It's dark fudge chocolate and caramel ice creams with a huge ribbon of caramel running down the middle. One does not just sit there and let the ice cream wait to be eaten. One dives in with reckless abandon and digs right in with the plastic spoon one's infinitely kind husband has provided. However, if one exerts too much force, one might break the spoon. And while the spoon isn't normally sharp, the edge of a broken spoon can be very sharp. In this case, it can, and will, slice open your finger pretty good.

What have we learned? Well, first off, metal spoons are much more suited to ice cream. Secondly, I might want to use a dish and scoop it out of the container in the future. But mostly I've learned that if I'm ever
imprisoned, I know how to make a GREAT shiv.

2 comments:

Biddie said...

Saving the environment, I love it. I eat ice cream out of the container now and again,too. I think that it actually tastes better that way.

Space Kitty said...

So, I can call you when I finally land in jail, yes?