Wednesday, August 30, 2006

In which our heroine goes back to school

So school started last night. I hiked up the long and steep hill to my sociology meeting to... wait, time out. I tried to take sociology in spring. I showed up for the meeting, got the add slip, and off I went. However, I forgot to actually add and pay for the class, so even though I had the book and was doing the work, I wasn't really registered and didn't get credit. At least I only wasted a couple of weeks on that. So, I figured I'd take it this semester with the same professor because the book I had bought was customized to him. So, I hiked up the long and steep hill to the meeting, and found that the professor was ill and in the hospital and would probably be replaced for the semester. Uh, d'oh? Hopefully they'll still use the same book, but if not, that's $60 down the drain, or I get to wait yet ANOTHER semester to take it. Just an inconvenience, but irritating. I mean, the poor man is in the hospital. I should try to find a little kindness in my blackened soul, you know?

I went to my next class, which... well, let's not mince words: I don't think I belong in it. At my JC, you have to take an essay test to be placed into english. They put me into the class BELOW freshman english. Nevermind that I've actually passed freshman english at another JC. For a variety of reasons, I don't want to transfer my transcripts over, so I'm stuck with where they placed me. So, I told myself that I needed to take the lower-level english class just to get it over with, or I needed to find out a way to get into the regular freshman english using my transcripts. I bit the bullet and registered for the lower-level english class. I decided that I could definitely use some polishing with my writing (and no, this isn't an example of my best writing. This is just a braindump), so I'm trying to keep a positive attitude about the whole thing. You can look up the required books before class even starts, so I ordered the books online to save some money. Turns out the listing wasn't quite thorough, and one of the books I ended up with isn't quite the right version, and another one of the books I got... well, I didn't need to spend 1/2 as much as I did on it. Damn college textbooks.

The kicker: One of the books is a vocabulary workbook. I'm flipped through the book, and was able to provide a clear and cogent definition for all except one of the words. Seriously. Oh well. At least I'll have it out of the way and will be able to take Astronomy next semester.

No comments: